Launch Pad (January 16, 2016)

We have liftoff!  Here is your open thread and blog update for the week. Comments and questions are welcome and nothing is off-topic.

What happened last week

Basically, we got the blog set up, though there are still some adjustments that need to be made. The About This Blog page establishes things like our commenting and submissions policies. The Tips and Tricks page provides a fairly detailed overview of navigation and general use of the blog. We posted daily recaps of La Vecina and summaries of Ruta 35 and La Querida del Centauro. We got the chat room partially tested and are probably ready for a live event sometime after this week.  (It’s a concert week for me.)

What’s in store for this week

Probably a lot more adjusting, though I’m trying to keep it to a minimum and make sure things get tested out properly.

More posts about Vecina, Ruta 35, and La Querida.

Known technical issues

None at this time, but if something doesn’t look right, please let me know.

UPDATE: Spoke too soon!  It appears our commenting system doesn’t like apostrophes?  Or at least, not when you try to edit a post that contains one.  If you try editing a comment and suddenly all your ‘ turn into \’ please point me in the direction of that comment so I can try to get this figured out.

Last week’s poll results

The poll question last week was for Vecina fans: Whose behavior do you find most appalling?

The results, from most to least:

• Ramon for being a juvenile, homophobic jerk…30.0%  tied with
  • Isa for nearly killing a guy’s dad just to try to get back together with him…30.0%
  • Ema for trying to sell off her son to the highest bidder…20.0% tied with
  • Pedro for not being dead yet…20.0%
  • And in last place with no votes was Ric, because setting up David just wasn’t bad enough to compete with anyone else this week.

This week’s poll is also for La Vecina fans because…well, that’s pretty much everyone who’s here right now!

Final thoughts, and a question

One of the things that attracted me to the commenting “plugin” we’re using was the bright colors and the ability to customize the labels, so they could be in both English and Spanish.  In the process of changing those labels, I struggled with what to do about the labels pertaining to the people who use this site…Readers, Authors, Editors.  In English they’re all gender neutral, but in Spanish, I had to pick an a/o ending.  Somehow, the “gender neutral masculine” didn’t feel quite right, nor did using @ or x endings, so I made the executive decision to use the gender neutral feminine.  OK, that’s probably not really a thing, but I figure if I can get through a lifetime being told that “guys” is gender neutral and “men” includes everybody, having “-a” be the default for the Spanish labels on one little blog on the great big wide Internet is something our visitors who are men can tolerate with good humor.  And if not, we can talk about it.

What’s your preferred ending when you’re trying to be gender-inclusive? “-o/a”? “@”?  “x”?  Something else I hadn’t considered?

topperarnold

Gracias! I enjoyed the polls last week.

Since this is the open thread. I am very happy because there will be a third season of Señora Acero…there just might not be a Señora Acero any more.

5ftLatina
5ftLatina
Reply to  topperarnold

How can you have Señora Acero without Señora Acero?!

topperarnold

I don’t know! Needless to say, I’ll be tuning in. I’ve probably fallen right into their trap.

topperarnold

I just added some things to the calendar. Rosario is premiering on EstrellaTV (Starring Guy Ecker) and Lady la vendedora de rosas is coming to UniMas. I’ve got a ton of Spanish channels with my cable plan. I just like adding things to the calendar.

Reply to  topperarnold

I think I might actually try to watch Rosario.

topperarnold

Here’s a trailer from YouTube.

Reply to  topperarnold

Oh! Lorena Rojas (QEPD) is in it!

Reply to  topperarnold

Oh my…I didn’t realize the actual video would show up. That’s kind of cool?

topperarnold

Oh, to answer the question…I’ve always seen/used “@”, but that would be problematic wouldn’t it? Does that attract spammers?

topperarnold

More for the open thread. I just watched the first episode of Pasion. Um. I’m not so sure about it. I’m going to give it the whole week because I’ve heard people say it’s good. My first impressions were not so favorable. From what I’ve seen of Alborada, it makes it look like Pasion is trying too hard. The wigs and costumes look a little…Disney-esque?
And the Juan Ferrara/Susana Gonzalez scene at the end? Ew. Ew. Ew. (Which I guess they were going for so…well done!)

Can I still be in the Telenovela Club if I don’t like Pasión?

topperarnold

When I first started watching novelas (less than 10 years ago…so I’m a total newb), I would make a decision about a show after the first episode. I’ve since been convinced to wait at least a week or two.

topperarnold

That sounds a bit like me, too. But I still have some shows I let pile up and I still want to keep watching. It’s even harder for me to determine now that I am watching so many shows and they are all different and I like them for different reasons. Sometimes I just have to resign myself to the fact that I just don’t like a show that everyone else seems to like.

topperarnold

Agreed. I always figure it’s because I have crappy tastes. Or I’m not smart enough to recognize the artistic masterpieces.

Señora Acero is a good example of that. 😉

topperarnold

And I’m stuck putting it on a wish list since I’m not buying books this year. Ah well. I can wait.

topperarnold

The Telemundo app has the first episode of Eva la trailera up! I’m going to try and watch it this week.

stealth cacophony
stealth cacophony

Late response
I didn’t like Pasion either, but I thought it was b/c I was watching the DVD set.
haven’t seen Alborada yet either so I have no comparison to that.
One of the main things that bugged me was the costumes/coifs did not match the time period
which was ??

Also, anybody know what is the vendadora de rosas about?

topperarnold

I confess I still haven’t watched any other episodes of Pasion. I still have them on my DVR. I might watch some this weekend.

Lady la vendedora de rosas I think is based on the life of Lady Tabares. She had a tough childhood etc etc, but was cast as in a movie that got a lot of critical acclaim and brought her some fame. Then she ended up involved in prison for killing a cabbie. (I really just skimmed a this Spanish article: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Tabares

Today’s Google doodle-

Because chili peppers.

topperarnold

I’m also kind of surprised Thailand didn’t get it.

topperarnold

Omg! Logo and a new poll!