Kat: Well…my first comment isn’t a positive one and I’m gonna sound like one of those damn liberal SJWs.
Felipe just said the wedding is “pasada mañana” Can’t wait to see what that means in TN episode time.
Don’t Look Back
They’ve been re airing Soy tu Dueña on Univision late nights and I’ve been watching. I probably shouldn’t be watching. I could very well end up very disappointed, embarrassed, ashamed. I’m throwing caution to the wind though and watching anyway.
That’s a Wrap!
Whew! We made it through the holidays and we’re days away from a new year. 2018 is almost gone, but the memories will never fade!
An “upfront” is an announcement/presentation of what each network plans to do with programming, used to attract advertisers.
Telemundo and Univision are making the actual presentations in New York over the next two days, but they’ve already told advertisers what to expect.
What happened with last year’s promised shows?
- Al Otro Lado del Muro – currently airing and in its Etapa Culminante.
- El César – aired in November.
- De Pura Cepa – aired from November-February as Sangre De Mi Tierra.
- Los Guerrero – currently airing under the title Mi Familia Perfecta.
- José José: El Príncipe de la Canción – aired from January-April.
- Luis Miguel: La Serie – currently airing as a Sunday “Premium” Series.
- Partido a Partido – never aired
- El Señor de los Cielos 6 – just started.
- Señora Acero: La Coyote 4 – aired from November-February.
- Sin Senos Sí Hay Paraiso 2 – aired from July-November.
- Amar Despues de Amar – never aired.
- El Chapo 2 – aired September-December.
- La Banda 3 – never aired.
- Barrio Records – never aired.
- Luis Miguel bioseries – never aired.
- Mi Marido Tiene Familia – aired from August-January.
- ¡Mira Quién Baila! 5 – aired from September-November
- NBL Belleza Total – never aired.
- Papá a Toda Madre – currently airing.
- Pequeños Gigantes USA 2 – aired from February – April.
And what do we have to look forward to in 2018-19
- El Baron Rojo – a narco set in the ’80s
- Betty in New York – a remake of Betty La Fea, in Spanish
- Exatlon – competitive reality show, extreme sports + decathlon
- Falco – based on “The Last Cop,” a police officer gets shot in 1994 and wakes up in 2018.
- Falsa Identidad – two strangers flee their pasts and assume new identities as a happily married couple
- El Ganador – now titled Nicky Jam: El Ganador. This was carried forward from the 2017 upfronts and will air as a Sunday “Premium” series.
- MasterChef Latino 2 – second verse, same as the first….
- Prisionero Número Uno – a guy gets deported to Mexico, becomes a TV personality, becomes President of Mexico, and is imprisoned by people he thought were his friends.
- La Reina del Sur 2 – Carried forward from the 2017 upfronts. Teresa Mendoza returns to Mexico.
- El Recluso – an English-language political thriller
- El Secreto de Selena – Carried forward from the 2017 upfronts. Billed as a Sunday “Premium” Series.
- El Señor de los Cielos 7 – yeah, seriously.
- Señora Acero 5 – *sigh*
- Sin Senos Sí Hay Paraiso 3 – coming soon
- La Voz – with Luis Fonsi coaching
- 101 Pasos Para Olvidarte – a man who teaches seminars on heartbreak falls in love with a client
- Bad Hombres – Are you freakin’ kidding me wit that title? Two brothers are raised apart. One becomes a Navy SEAL the other a narco.
- La Bella Y Las Bestias – An expert in martial arts avenges her parents’ deaths.
- Las Benditas – the widows of four security guards team up to find out what happened to their husbands
- Brujas al Amanecer – teen witches (Don’t tell me this is not a plot. This is totally a plot!)
- Cantinflas – bioseries (Don’t get your hopes up, I hear Osorio’s producing.)
- Comandante Bonita – a mother leads a vigilante group to fight against narcos and a corrupt government
- Contracara – souls inhabit new bodies
- Espiritu de Madre – a CEO raises another woman’s children and struggles to find balance
- La Jefa del Campeón – a mom sacrifices everything to help her son fulfill his pro soccer dreams
- Jesus – another Brazilian dubbed biblico-novela
- Like, La Leyenda – kids rebel, sing and dance
- Mami – drama about identity and sexuality
- Mi Marido Tiene Familia 2 – the family’s back and it’s bigger
- Mira Quien Baila 6 – reality dance competition featuring celebrities raising money for charities
- Nuestra Belleza Latina – competitive reality
- Pequeños Gigantes USA 3 – reality talent show for children
- La Piloto 2 – Yolanda’s on the verge of marriage and adoption when the child she hopes to adopt is kidnapped
- Por Amar Sin Ley 2 – legal drama
- Ringo – a remake of Sos Mi Hombre. A retired boxer fights his ex-wife for custody of their son and fights her new lover in the ring.
- Tijuana – reporters for the Tijuana weekly newspaper uncover corruption
- El Último Dragón – a man needs to reconcile his two worlds, Mexican narco and Japanese finance
- Hijas de la Luna – Four sisters, all named Juana, search for their father
- Los Principes No Existen – a woman dates a cheating jerk, dumps him, and he decides he no longer wants to be a cheating jerk.
- Sin Tu Mirada – two babies switched at birth find each other as adults.
- Tenías Que Ser Tú – a mother and daughter move for mom’s job and the new boss is her old flame
- Apocalipsis – Brazilian biblico-novela
- Atrapada – a woman becomes a professional thief and ends up facing the man who killed her parents
- Las Buchonas – what I’ve jokingly called Real Housewives of Narco County, but is now being billed as women rebelling against the patriarchy
- Juego de Reinas – narco queens form an alliance
- Paquita la del Barrio – bioseries
- Reto 4 Elementos 2 – competitive reality show
- Rosario Tijeras 2 – the continuing story of a female assassin
- Tres Milagros – three women with the same name and the same destiny (uh, wasn’t this Victorinos?)
It seems like there’s a lot they’re trying to fit in and Univision especially likes to switch things up when they think it will improve their ratings. We’ll keep track on the Proximas page and the forums.
Which shows are you looking forward to?
If you need some suggestions, try
“La bella alma de don Damián,” by Juan Bosch (Gracias, Linda F.)
or “La poseída” by Antonio Muñoz Molina from New Penguin Parallel Text Short Stories in Spanish (Gracias, Jarifa)
or keep an eye out for more suggestions in the comments. Read as few or as many as you like, it’s up to you!
Las Amigas is part of a collection of nine stories that make up La frontera de cristal, with the “frontera” being the US-Mexico border. An article about La frontera de cristal from El Pais.
From the introduction:
This is a work of metafiction–fiction about fiction. In this story, the protagonist wakes up in a world where fiction no longer exists. The writer of the introduction suggests we “use this opportunity to take note of the importance of literature in present society, those functions it possesses, and how it grants us humanity in an otherwise dehumanizing world.”